Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this question has been asked probably a million times and i have tried to seek old forum answers, but was wondering if this could be answered quickly, my bees are building building between the frames in the upper 10 frame box, they are storing good clear honey, they haven't capped the honey off yet on the outer frames but i inspected after 2 weeks and they had busy building in the center out, but was wondering about them building between the frames, should i space them out a little more or push them tighter together?
thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Are all the frames in that box drawn out and being filled? To me it sounds like they need another box. The bees need room to store nectar as they dry it down and turn it into honey.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no,
they have got the inner frames made, but the outer frames have honey but not capped, the inner 3 frames are done and that is where they are building in between, i have a 10 frame upper brood, i was watching them today and they are bearding out and seem a little aggressive today. going to do another inspection tomorrow and do a good check, have found a hive beetles on upper cover, i was wondering about adding the supers but was worried about the outer frames not being caped yet, there are plenty of bee's in the upper frame!
thanks for replying shannon
realy wondering about this and the shb.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The concern on the outer frames should be are they using it - ie have they got nectar stored there. Don't worry about it not being capped. It sounds like the hive is ready for another box.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks will do, should i add 1 super or 2?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That depends on how strong the colony is. Do your supers have drawn frames? If so add 2. It's better to over super then under super.If after a couple weeks it appears they have to much space you could take 1 back off.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
If they are building combs between frames, squeeze your frames together. Bees build wax between frames when you have a bee space violation. The wider the gap, the worse the bridging gets.

Are these plastic frames? If the bees are drawing combs in between undrawn plastic frames, you have a mess you need to clean up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks country, and shannon
yea i have plastic frames with the wax added, i pulled the frames with the comb built between, hated doing this and cleaned as careful as possible, and replaced closer together, after one day the little girls did it again, so i guess ill let them do what they want, its their over winter store! the hive is very strong, they were all over, in the upper brood, and were doing well on the honey storing, they had about 75% of the upper brood box with honey but not capped, not all of it, the outer frames, the very front and the very back frame was not filled with honey, but they were all over it. they started bearding yesterday and were kinda aggressive , so i decided , in concurrence with shannon that the supers should be added at this time, the hive smells good, a very distinct smell, not foul, but pleasant and distinctive. i do agree, if it is to much space i will take a super off, was going to check again in a week, i never thought they would fill the 2nd brood with honey this quick, hope they will do the supers the same!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Sometimes when I have a new frame that the bees insist on drawing odd comb on I will pull it and put it on the end for a while. Then push the frames tight together. Then after they have capped (or are capping) the middle ones I clean up the frame that I moved and put it back between two capped frames. They will usually get the idea of what I want by then.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will try that beedeetee,
i checked them this morning and the bearding is gone, lifted the upper lid and they were all over the supers as i looked in on the inner lid. they seem to be in a better mood since i added the supers. i hope to be able to extract some honey buy end of july! might be asking to much! the temp down here is in the upper 90's with the heat index around 104, the humidity is awful, reckon this is the cause for such aggression or that there is a honey flow? south mississippi is usually this way in mid july but seems the heat came early this year!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts