Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this turns out well I will try to post pictures and design. If it doesn't I will ignore this thread and hope gets lots on the internet.

What speed does an extractor usually run at? (RPM).
I know very little about metal. A USDA extractor plan (on this site - but not what I am building) just calls for steel. What is Forney Steel? I have a long threaded rod that says it is forney steel center - plated steel. I haven't a clue what that means and if it would be ok to use in the extractor.

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
not sure about your steel questions, but I've wondered about the rpms too..I was thinking about using a dimmer switch on an electric motor to slow down the rpms, but I need to talk to an electrician to make sure it will not damage the motor if I use one...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Stainless 304 series would be good or 303 series. If you want food or medical grade, which I don't think would be necessary for what you are doing, then you would need to go to a 316 or 316L stainless. Stay away from the 400 series of stainless which has some carbon in it which allows it to be heat treated. If you want a really shinly finish, find some place that can electro polish your parts. For the tank if you use the 300 series that has been polished and then polish out the welds, you will have a nice lookinig unit.

Ken

Forgot to add that 303 is not good for welding but does machine good for non welded parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds like a brand name for some type of steel. I've not heard of it and did not find any reference to it except for welding wire. You mention that it is plated. Stainless does not need to be plated. It is usually passivated which is an acid bath or it can be electro polished which some call a passivation. The passivation process eats the carbon or other material left from the tooling during the machining process. For what you are doing, I would not bother passivating it but would consider the electro polish for the machined parts. It makes them look like they have been chrome plated.

Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
I built one out of a food grade plastic barrel, 2 bicycle wheels, a threaded rod and 2X4s that worked. I ran it with a dril land it works like a charm for small lots. Google 'the bush mechanic' for an idea

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D That is what I am up to - minus the wheels :D
After all the stainless steel talk I didn't have the nerve to say it lol.

It will do 2 deep frames and I expect 3 meds. The rod is zinc plated though (which I find is what is used for galv. iron and I know some old extractors use gal. iron so I guess it is ok).

So far it has cost us about $12 and scrap wood. I was planning to share the design as a low budget extractor for new keepers who can't afford to purchase even a small crank extractor. The USDA plans only call for steel, pipe, plywood, etc. so this should be ok. Basically it will get a new keeper through a few years.

It will take a while to do a few supers but I have come to find that the saying "my time is money" is greatly over exaggerated. It is only worth a certain amount and at certain times... example would be all the time spent on entertainment. If I can spend 24hrs a week entertaining myself I suspect that my time isn't worth as much as I think :no:

Thanks
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts