Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to add in nucs this year as seen in Michael Palmers videos, but Mann Lake nucs are $30 each and are the wrong size from being five frame. 1x12 is too spendy for just wanting to try something out, so ply will work for now. I had scrap 3/4" ply laying around and some scrap left over from building pallets. If you are buying ply to build, two sheets of plywood will make ten nucs if it's laid out perfectly. I'm built 20 nucs out of scrap in a few hours. I'll find some more ply to make bodies without the attached bottom.

The frame perch is 9/16x 3/8".

Sizes

Front- 6 1/2" x 9 5/8"

Back- 6 1/2" x 11"

Side- 19 7/8" x 11"

Bottom- 20 1/2" x 6 1/2"

Top- 21 5/8" x 8"

Workspace. I'm gluing and stapling these.

Bottom to back. Make sure the back has the frame perch pointed the right way.

Side 1 on and front before the box is flipped. Again, make sure the frame perch is on the inside and up.

Flipped for side 2.

Tops dropped on.

I'm going to build some ply 4 frame nuc bodies without the bottom built in to go 2 deep, then add the excluder and supers on top of that. But you get the Idea. I'll prime and paint these tomorrow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I do love the sunshine this time of year. It's great that it's warm, without being too hot yet.

I am on a few forums around. ;) I did toss up this post on Arfcom to show how easy it is to blast together a box or two.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I build all my nucs out of plywood. They work great. One thing I see with yours is the plywood's grain is running up and down on the sides. They tend to warp really bad like that. Cut them out so the grain runs front to back. They last longer this way.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Deepsouth, I didn't think it would make a difference with plywood, since you had opposing grain throughout. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind the next time I use plywood for a project.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Deepsouth, I didn't think it would make a difference with plywood, since you had opposing grain throughout. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind the next time I use plywood for a project.
yes it does make a big difference which way the grain runs in plywood...there is a lot less strength when it is turned the wrong way

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cool- i ditto the sunshine observation. tried catching up on some hive building up here last week and it is just not working yet. another month maybe!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I like it! Nice to be able to work outside in the sunshine too! Good job!
I made 5 frame nucs out of ply - works well and they are cheap and easy to make.
I will publish the lay-out in my ( Southern Hemisphere) newsletter

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am completing a building project and have some OSB left over. Any reason I cannot use it instead of plywood? I think it is made with the same glues.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those look great. You might also want to consider this design that you can find on beesource... http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/5-frame-nuc-d-coates-version/
I saw these. But they are too wide to stack next to each other, excluder, and super like shown in Michael Palmers videos. They also are only getting 4 nucs per 4x8' sheet. I'm getting near 5 per.

I may try 5 frame nucs at a later date. But if M. Palmer can winter 4 frame nucs in 3' of snow... I just might have a shot here in the Sac valley.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think I am Off top, I made 5 framers I built D Coats boxes last year ( fast builds). Made 30, accually 10 boxes to plan, and 20 as supers without bottoms 6 5/8. I had to add the strip that is on top front and back that makes the perch to the bottom front and back to make a seal when they are stacked. works great. I made them out of 3/8 osb (like t111) that is primed. I didn`t buy this stuff but its not like reg osb when wet,very stable, 2 coats of paint and I think they would last my lifetime. any way, I have 10 nucs overwintering in them now and only one died so far, ran out of food .One thing I would add to this design is to drill 2, 2" holes in the bottom board covered with 1/8 screen. And 3/4 " holes front and back covered with same. And a rim to fit for mountain camp emerg feeding. Yep N3SKI

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm pretty sure Michael Palmer is over wintering on much more than four frames. hus nucs are all supered. I hope that one day Michael gets a book out so we get a better view of his techniques.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The MP 4 frame nuc boxes are being sold by BetterBee .
Yes, and they look like great quality. But I'm looking to try out keeping nucs and don't want to spend too much. BetterBee nucs look to be $31 each (without frames) plus shipping. My boxes were just the cost of glue and a few staples as most of the wood was scrap. ;) I did buy a sheet of 3/4" ply to build a few more, but the cost of lumber made these nucs $6.00 each (without frames) complete. And I made near 5 nucs from one sheet of ply and didn't have to pay shipping.

I'm pretty sure Michael Palmer is over wintering on much more than four frames. hus nucs are all supered. I hope that one day Michael gets a book out so we get a better view of his techniques.
I did mention I was goin to build 4 frame deeps without a bottom to make a 4 frame double deep. This is how I'll over winter. Double 4 frames set next to each other. From the videos I've seen and what Mr. Palmer has talked about here, he is using more than one box. Either two deeps or two deeps and a 4 frame super (iirc). I don't get -25 F like he does but am going to work towards over wintering and managing nucs similar to what he is doing. I like the idea of brood factories, keeping extra queens on hand, and the many other reasons he talks about... So many ideas... So little time.

I agree with hoping for a book! Maybe one day.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I made 120 6 frame nucs that fit 6 on a standard pallet. The idea is to run 6 nucs with every load and use them as replacements then introduce the new queen back into the nuc. The pic shows the pallet with 5 nucs one went queenless this winter. For some reason won't load pic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts