Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked to give a presentation on bees during Bug Week at a local daycare center. They tell me the kids are 5-10 years old, about 20 of them. I've not done a group so young. I don't what to be over there heads, but I want to peak thier interest and not may it to simple. Anyone have any experiance with such a young group?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am a teacher and have done it the past two years for our first graders. The first year I failed miserably. What I would suggest is asking the teacher(s) to keep and maintain classroom structure (don't take on this job!).

I would start with asking what the teachers are looking for a talk about, beekeeping or about bees. They are very different talks and if you try to cover both with such a young group (like I did) you will fail and lose them.

They are young so keep it simple in either case. When talking about bees, talk to the 3 classes, body parts, the dances, and what they do for farmers/food, and especially that they are not the same as yellow jackets (and how to recognize the difference). About 15 minutes (this will be their attention span for comprehension) Then ask for questions, and the stories will come and will fill the rest of the time.

For beekeeping it really is easy. Bring in your gear and talk about it. What each tool is for. I usually bring in and empty hive with a few frames of built out come for them to see. If you can bring some honey they will go nuts. And again the stories and question will come.

Their young just keep it simple. It is the best thing you can do.

I got lucky this coming year, the school let me have a hive at the school.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could always take a few drones in a jar so that they could get a look at some bees up close and personal...and no stings no matter how many scream "he bit me"

(a class of pre-schoolers love a drone on a string) :lpf:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts