Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to sprinkle some Bug-B-Gone pellets under and around the hives? I have about 2 inches of mulch around the hives to cut down on the weeds. I don't have any weeds, but I have a lot of bugs, particularly ants.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I never do. I hate insecticides (like most beekeepers I suppose). I don't find ants a problem Every 10 square feet on the planet has from one to six ant hills in it. That's just reality. Beehives are a source of food without braving the bees. I've seen ants carrying off dead bees that are many times their size. I'm sure the ant didn't kill the bee. The bee looked to have been dead too long. They are just carrying off the garbage.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I look at it like this.Anything that kills any kind of bug kills bees.If you spray for ants,the ants walk thru the stuff and it kills the ant. You do not want your bees dragin poison into your hives.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hey mike are you getting any honey.it was cold here in the spring. Now it has been rain and more rain,just when the honey flow should be on.I am about 150 mils north of you.I havent had much luck so far getting honey.Hope yopu are doing a bit better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No honey here. But, I have had absconding, swarming, and queenlessness. I'm just getting all that under my belt my first year.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with MB's post. I think that was an intereasting observation on the forum some where about a hive that was found that had not been managed in 15 years and it was full of ants and bees.

* a funny side not about not liking pesticides the other day my wife seen a snake by the small creek we have on our place and she asked me if she could dump something in the creek to kill all the snakes and I guess I gave her a look like she was crazy because she stopped midsentence and said what is wrong... to which my first thought and reply was Are you crazy my bees drink out of that creek......

[This message has been edited by beekeeper28 (edited July 24, 2003).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts