Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a plot would be needed for a single colony to make anything of it? I use it in sections of my garden for weed control aiming tward the next season. I have a 50' x 100' area planted now, normally this would get tilled under around bloom time, but I'll let it go awhile this year.

Matt

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
matt, 50 by 100 is ok as long as it is THICK. thick like the whole 50 pound bag planted there.

I have put in several 50 pound bags over the course of the last year, and I had some observations.

you know you always have spillage of a few grains here and there. onesies and twosies never get attention. the bees like a target rich environment. The bees want to hop from one bloom to the next, to the next.so sew it thick. I had good luck with MANCAN and not so good luck with COMMON.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>How big of a plot would be needed for a single colony to make anything of it?

Like use it? Or make a crop off it?

I have bees where there are some patches of about an acre of buckwheat (plowed and drilled) and they work it. Especially in a drought. I've never gotten a crop off of it though.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My plot is about 40 x 200 and I used a full 50 pound sack on it. It just started blooming this week and the bees practically attack it in the morning. The bees are wall to wall on the flowers in the morning but leave it by lunchtime. From what I understand the flowers quit producing nectar in the afternoon.

Since I have 15 hives at this location I don't expect any of them will acutally get enough nectar from the buckwheat to produce a any honey from it but I'm sure that they are definitely USING it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What kind of soil, water, temperature and sowing does buckwheat require? Here, we have red dirt and black clay, fairly shallow with alot of limestone. I would love to try it but have never heard/seen much about buckwheat in Central Texas.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
"the bees practically attack it in the morning."

I love to walk into a buckwheat field in teh morning and hear bzzzzzzzzzz all around! they really do attack it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already planted it and put in about 20#. I was hoping that with only one colony I may just get a dab for me.
I did put it in late, the same as most of my gardening, so it is a little way off for any blooming.

Thanks for the information.

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts