Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 buckfasts from R.Weaver. Very oddly shipped in a flat envelope. Survived the mail but don't understand why the priority box was not used instead of the envelope. Must have been very hot at one point some of the candy appears to have melted.

What color should a buckfast queen be?

Also buckfast is suppsed to resist tracheal mites, how does it do with varroa (better, worse, average)?
Also they seem small (compared to the italians) - normal?

I have never seen buckfast so I ask...
Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just received a queen from B. Weaver and it was shipped the same way. I contacted the Post Office to call me when it came in. That didn't happen. The mailing label also said to call and had my phone number on it. The label also said to keep it at room temperature in big bold letters. It was stuffed in my mailbox and the outside temperature was 93 :doh:. Luckily the queen and attendants were fine. USPS is starting to be like every other freight service.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Shipping in flat mailers, with holes punched for ventilation is common. I haven't had a queen come any other way. You have to make sure someone is on the lookout for the package, in case the post office doesn't call you, that way you can get them into a cool area and provide a little water.

It's been a couple of years since I got my Buckfast from them. I don't remember her being smaller. It could be that you received a freshly mated queen, which would be smaller than an established queen.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought 5 buckfast Nucs this spring. The queens in mine were very dark, almost black pretty easy to spot and find. Too soon yet for me to answer some of your questions about mites etc. I have found them to be mild tempered and very easy to work with, no problem there. I can tell you what I have discovered, I have Itialians, Carnolians, Carnolian - Itialian, a couple of mut swarms, of all the bees I have the Buckfast are by far the hardest workers of the bunch. They have out produced, and the fastest populating bees I have. I work night shifts some and the other morning on the way home from work I stopped by the hives at the crack of daylight, not daylight yet just starting, they were heading out of the hive to work and the others were still hanging out in the house !! No bees in sight on the other hives and the Buckfast looked liked the Atlanta airport coming out and taking off. Also I have found the same to be true in the evenings, last ones to come in then too. I have already placed my order for 6 more nucs of the same for next spring in 2011. I think you will like your Buckfast's....... Good luck and most important, have fun.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - building my hopes :)

I just went through the hive (I bet they wish I would leave them alone). Destroyed any queen cups/cells.

In the big hive I put the queen cage w/ attendants between the upper chamber and the honey super. I left the cork in for now - I want to be sure they accepting her beforeI pull the cork.

In the split I placed qc w/ attn between the lower chamber and the upper. I pull the cork on that one and cleared off some candy.

It was hard to see but I couldn't see any bees acting agressive towards them so maybe all will go well. They have been without a queen for 2-3 days.

Mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Should be good to go! Also they are smaller bee than Italian and a lot darker in color but have great work ethics !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts