Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way of getting Buckfast queens from Canada? I have heard that the Buckfasts from Texas may have become Africanized and individual queens may produce very aggressive hives. Any truth to this?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I have heard that the Buckfasts from Texas may have become Africanized and individual queens may produce very aggressive hives. Any truth to this?

I had Buckfasts for 28 years. Three years ago I had four hives of Buckfasts from Texas that all swarmed in August in a drought. Then all four went vicous. In 28 years I had never seen anything like it. I split them up and requeened them.

But I also know beekeepers who continue to buy their Buckfasts from Texas and continue to have very good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i dont think anyone could ever convince me that the two buckfasts mentioned have any of the same genetics. they are like two completely different races as far as im concerned.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i think that your right wine man we had 5 buckfast this fall two did not make the winter (treachle mite) the others are so differant two are awsome honey producers the other is not worth any thing i like carniolan just my two cents

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
You can get Buckfast from Canada. But order early, they sell out fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have used a lot of buckfasts for 20+ years and like them a lot with little trouble but occasionally! all the problems mentioned occur but life is not perfect and challanges build character

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Challenges are fine, but the type of Aggression Mike Bush described is not something I would want on my property with my wife and kids. However, it does sound like it was fairly exceptional circumstances that caused the aggression.

I'm interested in the Buckfasts because where I live we don't have a lot of sources for spring nectar, mostly willows along ditch banks, but in June the alfalfa and the pasture clovers get going, and they're available all summer. Our winters are long, cold, and dry. The Italians I have maintain such large winter populations that they are starving by mid-February, even when I leave them a full deep of honey. The Carniolans winter better, but they just haven't impressed me with their productivity, and they seem prone to swarm. So a race that maintains a small winter population and builds slower but maintains higher populations during the summer is what I'm looking for. From what I've read that sounds like the Buckfasts.

Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts