Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I did what some have recommended and got free buckets from a deli. They are great buckets but unfortunately they had contained pickles 馃榿. I haven鈥檛 been able to get the pickle smell out. Any suggestions to remove the smell? (other than getting buckets that held less odiferous products). I don鈥檛 know if the honey would absorb any smell or taste but don鈥檛 want to waste honey trying.

I鈥檓 probably not the first to face this issue, but lesson learned.

Thanks

Registered
You can't get the smell out no matter what. My sauerkraut bucket has proven this unfortunate fact of life to me. Tractor supply has reasonably priced food grade buckets if you can't find a freebie. J

Registered
Eventually the smell does go away.You could fill with 10% bleach water for a few days and then in the sun for a few more.
I would not store honey in it but you could still use it for washing up or moving honey around.
I have an old 5 gal pickle bucket that is an inch shorter than all my other pails and fits perfectly under my extractor with the double stainless screen. I then empty the pail into a bottling bucket with a nylon paint strainer bag and use that to fill 3 1/2 gal food grade buckets.
I have found that many free bakery or deli buckets are only 70 mil and will not take weight or rough handling.Look on the bottom for "90 mil"
Also make sure your covers are food grade and heavy duty.Most big box covers
are not! You want a rubber gasket and a cover that requires a rubber mallet to install.
If you can remove a cover without the tool,it's no good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts