Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this, and can't find it now. It is a white plastic 5 gallon bucket with a closable top that is mounted on a conduit pole. It is useful for swarms that are in trees not too easy to reach. Can anyone steer me to this thing ? I thought I had it in a safe place, but, no, not so.

Appreciate any/all help as ususal.

casper_zip a beginning and learning bee keeper

·
Registered
127 Posts
I made one from a 5 gallon water container and a 8 foot 11/4" X 8' dowel rod. I glued the dowel in the neck of the bottle with epoxy and secured it with screws. I then cut the pole in half and installed a dowel screw so I can adjust the length. Have not used it yet, but it looks like it would work well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i originally had a swarm bucket made in the same fashion as the one from Brushy. I found after many uses that the base of the bucket was getting weak and eventually cracked on swarms that took some force to get them to drop (pine tree needle branches).

I made a new one from a 20ft telescoping painter pole. its very light due to the aluminium pole. i also mounted the pole to the side of the bucket for more strength and that is working better for me. I can really thrust the pole up for those more difficult swarms if I need to give them a good bump.

The telescoping pole can be a bit expensive but these poles pay for themselves in one swarm trip. You can find the really good ones at the painter stores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts