Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I use a bucket feeder placed inverted over the inner cover hole, I always surround it with an empty deep and then put the outer cover over that. That way if there is any leak or any gap it won't attract robbers as easily. I have found this way to not be a problem at all with robbers even during a dearth.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,303 Posts
ANY feeder can cause robbing in a dearth, especially if one is using a feeding stimulant like Honey B Healthy. Weaker colonies should have their entrances reduced while the feeders are on. Strong colonies can defend themselves, usually. Nucs should have robber screens installed.

Be careful not to spill any syrup while filling the buckets.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running a bunch of 5 frame nucs and have always used hive top feeders. But I am running out of feeders so I need to order some more, I am debating weather to order bucket feeders or frame feeders. I do not have the time right now to build hive top feeders. I run robbing screens on all my nucs.

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
I would go ahead with the bucket feeders. I am not a fan of the frame feeders, and in a nuc, they take up precious space.

·
Super Moderator
6,303 Posts
Every frame feeder I have seen in other people's hives has been full of drowned bees. Very few drown using buckets and certain hive top feeders. None when using mason jars. Plus, they take up space that I would rather be drawn comb packed with stores or brood. It is just a personal preference, no right or wrong about what to use (except for Boardman feeders during a dearth which is always a bad idea).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts