Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Neither.
The bees remove the syrup as needed.
There is an atmospheric principle involved.
As the bees consume their syup a small bubble of air passes into the bucket and rises to the top level of the syrup thus allowing the bees to continue feeding.
On a hot day, some bucket feeders may push syrup out faster than a weak hive can use it and it may run out of the hive. That's because the air inside the bucket expands when heated.
Ernie

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Bees4u, I"m hoping I got the sugar ratio correct. this is a new hive, and i"m using 1to1

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
when you first turn it over, a LITTLE will run out-3 or 4 tablespoons- then it stops till they suck it out. if it dont stop, your lid is leaking air. you cant get the ratio wrong-some ratios just take a LITTLE longer to evaporate to the point the bees want. good luck,mike

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike thank you, That was my concern when i first turned it over it leaked. After reading your thread i tried it again, and it stopped after a little came out . Thanks again, Ken

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
You are better off using glass. Less expansion when temperature extremes and less chance of leaking all onto your bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts