Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently switched over to 2:1 syrup. 10 cups water to 10lbs sugar. Today I pulled the feeder to check it out and it was completely clogged with crystalized sugar. Wondering what I'm missing. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I recently switched over to 2:1 syrup. 10 cups water to 10lbs sugar. Today I pulled the feeder to check it out and it was completely clogged with crystalized sugar. Wondering what I'm missing. Thanks.
You may have boiled off water while making the syrup.

Don't boil the water, and use a lid.

And don't boil the syrup, there's no need to.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try 10 cups of water to 20 cups of sugar and don't boil the water. Stirring the mixture while heating will dissolve the sugar long before it gets anywhere close to boiling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, well- I have been bringing water to a boil and then pulling it off the heat before I add the sugar and then stir like crazy. I will try your 10 to 10 idea and report back.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Ahhh, well- I have been bringing water to a boil and then pulling it off the heat before I add the sugar and then stir like crazy. I will try your 10 to 10 idea and report back.
This way you are feeding sucroze and is not the natural food for the bees.
When hot if you add lemon juice it will become fructose and that will not cristalize and that is closer to natural nectar.
Plus the benefit of vitamine C.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well now I'm more confused, RN. Are you saying keep doing what I'm doing or change something up? If I need to change my practice, please advise. Thanks!

·
Banned
362 Posts
Well, I am taking it this way.
Flowers do not produce too much sucroze.
They produce fructose and the bees process it into honey.
They can process sucrose into fructose with the enzimes they have but is extra labour.
Corn syrup is more fructose and they process it better and if it would be handled more like food it would not build toxic elements over time.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Try 10 cups of water to 20 cups of sugar and don't boil the water. Stirring the mixture while heating will dissolve the sugar long before it gets anywhere close to boiling.

This won't crystallize, but the resulting mixture will be approximately 48% Oops! (48% is for 1:1 2:1 is approx. 64%) sugar.

5:3 is about 62% sugar

2:1 roughly 66%

Thanks for seeing the error Peter!

·
Registered
475 Posts
This won't crystallize, but the resulting mixture will be approximately 48% sugar.

How do you calculate 48%? I make a gallon of water (8lbs) and 2 gallons of sugar (14.5 lbs) to be 64% - (14.5/22.5)*100

Agreed my method will be slightly off but the bees don't care - actually I guess I should add an extra 2 1/2 cups of sugar (approx 1 1/2lbs) per gallon of water.
As I only make small batches the advantage is that it normally fits the feeding containers (1/2 gallon mason jars) with no wastage.
1 gallon of water + 2 gallons of sugar = 2 gallons of approx 2:1
1 gallon of water + 1 gallon of sugar = 1 1/2 gallons of approx 1:1

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
:D

Peter,

Your right, the 48% is for 1:1 by volume.

Thanks for pointing out the oversight.

The 2:1 is 64% sugar as you said. I had the numbers on the back of an envelope from having this discussion yesterday with a friend.

Some of my bees are 22 miles away so I make 2:1 with 25# of sugar and 12 1/2 pints of water.

And yes, I know about the weight of 8.34 lbs/gallon of water.... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts