Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was filling jars today from my Maxant bottling tank and I noticed small bubbles that seem to rising to the top of the jars. They seem to settle on top of the honey in the jar. Any suggestions as to why this occurs? The tank is set at about 98 degrees and the moisture content is 17%.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Can't answer why, other than a likelihood they were introduced when extracting. But I find they eventually clear, assuing they are truly air bubbles, and not tiny wax flakes.

·
Registered
2020 8 hives
158 Posts
Can't answer why, other than a likelihood they were introduced when extracting. But I find they eventually clear, assuing they are truly air bubbles, and not tiny wax flakes.
I almost always see some bubbles usually on the upper surface of the tank/bucket. They normally clear up but do look bad immediately following bottling.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
I overspun and after a few days it worked its way up before bottling. Then used a clear film of cling wrap to lift anything off the top and cleared all of it up. Mine sat in an intermediate bucket with honey gate before bottling. (sealed to avoid taking in moisture). My guess is even what is bottled will outgas the air and become clear. Mine did.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was filling jars today from my Maxant bottling tank and I noticed small bubbles that seem to rising to the top of the jars. They seem to settle on top of the honey in the jar. Any suggestions as to why this occurs? The tank is set at about 98 degrees and the moisture content is 17%.
I have noticed the same thing and also a change in viscosity versus when I pulled frames. My Spring honey was more viscous, <17% and almost piles up while bottling - trapping air I believe. MY honey is also in a 80-90F room. The later pulled frames are less viscous still <17%, and bottles with fewer bubbles. I let it sit a bit with a paper cover and quickly stir bubbles out / use a needle or piece of wire and cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts