Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Bt for years and I just wanted to show the ones who dont use it or never have used it what it does.This is from a box of old comb that I had let the bees clean out and I will be using for swarm traps.These had been sprayed with Bt to keep the wax worms from eating them up.You can see in the pic near the side bar on the left and center there is the webbing from a young wax worm.They will only go an inch or so and die.These were sprayed with the kurstaki strain.Its not the aizawai strain thats always recommended but both are used for lepidopterous insects.I do use the aizawai strain but the kurstaki is what I had handy.
wax larvae.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Yup, that's pretty much what my results look like as well. I sometimes see webbing here and there but the combs stay in pretty good shape!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I love this stuff. No more wax moths. Swarm traps can stay out as long you want and it doesn't effect swarm selection. I just found that the first time I used it I over sprayed and it caused mold. Just a light spritz is all you need.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have noticed that sometimes I find the worm thats only a 3/16" - 1/4" long and dead.I even spray the inside of the hive bods,top and bottom board so just in case I dont get them eating up my wooden ware.They sure can wreak havoc on frames also.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Kes,

It's a bio-pesticide. That's all I know. If you do a search on this site you'll find very good explanations of what it is and how to use it. That's how I found out about it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keswickb,It is Bacillus thuringiensis.There are a bunch of different strains of this bacteria and they all will kill different pest.What we use is non harmful to humans.There is even one strain they use in some of those probiotic type stuff like a yogurt.The stuff you use for bees is sprayed on combs and wooden wares and when wax moth larvae eat a little of it it shuts down its gut and it dies.XenTari and Certan are the two brands recommended.Both of these are Bacillus thuringiensis var. aizawai strain.The kurstaki strain that I have used also is Thuricide which you can get at the garden centers.The XenTari is higher in price but it will go way way way farther than the Thuricide so in the long run it makes the XenTari cheaper to use.With using Bt you can save a lot of money on the loss of weak hives that the wax moth larvae attack,Wooden ware they eat up and the combs they destroy.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
This is curious to me, as I would have imagined out would affect the bees too. Bt would have never been my first choice for anything as I'm hugely opposed to their presence in food.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well hex0rz you better stop eating any kind of vegetables because Bt is a bacteria thats in all your vegetables naturally! There are many many different strains of it and all are natural.Some of your corn now days is made up to have higher rates of it to help keep worm out of it but its still natural.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The toxins are very host specific hex0rz, simple biochemistry and evolution, no voodoo magic or anything involved.

·
Registered
667 Posts
From what I've been told, anyone who eats "organic" fruits and vegetables is eating a load of this stuff, as it is certified as an organic treatment. From my understanding BT is anthrax for certain types of worms/insects.

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
>> Just trying to make sure you guys know what your really doing when you use this stuff.

The problem is that you are mixing up actual Bt with GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms). Read the article at your link again, more carefully.

Bt is from Mother Nature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

The corn referred to at the 'Mercola' link you provided has had {some} genetic material taken from Bt and inserted into the corn. That is a lot different than naturally occurring Bt.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How long is shelf life of this? I bought some years ago from someone (can't remember who now)on this board and was wondering if it was still good.

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts