Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We use Bt (bacillus thuringus biological pest control) around the farm to suppress mosquitos. Since the bees drink out of the ponds is the Bt safe for them? I would guess that other bio controls like ladybugs and praying mantis are fine. Any other wisdom out there?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
is the liquid sold under brand name Thuricide safe to use on combs?

Gypsi

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Bump, or do I need to start a new thread. I already bought the Thuricide....

·
Registered
730 Posts
There are different strains (varieties) of Bt available that have been selected to control different specific insects. Bt-kurstaki (BTK) controls the European corn borer, tomato hornworms, fruit worms, cabbageworm, cabbage looper, spring and fall cankerworm, spruce budworm, and other caterpillar-like larvae. Bt-san diego (BTSD) controls early larvae of the Colorado potato beetle. Bt-israelensis (BTI) controls mosquitoes, black flies and fungus gnats.

Bacillus thuringiensis -aizawai is used exclusively for the control of wax moth larvae.

Thuricide is Bt-kurstaki, so it is the wrong strain. It is also in an emulifised pertrolium oil that you should NOT put on your comb.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thank you. Can anyone tell me where to get the right stuff?

Gypsi

·
Registered
54 Posts
So the BT available from Home Depot and/or Lowes, etc. is not the right stuff?

thanks
bob
Depends what you are trying to control. First....read the label see what the active ingredient is, the label will also have the target insects listed. The OP would use BTi to control mosquitoes. Re-read Walliebees good answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To clarify. I want to use it to control wax moth in the hive. Just wanted to know if anyone used the type available at big box stores. Brand named Monterey. Does not mention wax moth. seems the aizawai is not readily available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts