Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone enjoying their hot cup of Java this morning ?

I'm hoping that this month is brutal cold like the 2009-2010 winter prediction. Officially winter hasn't begun, however, the past winters have been mild after January when this happens. El-Nino or something like that. Actually, if you get some snow it'll help insulate our hives. I'm not talking snow drift, but maybe the tops and bases. That leads to another question maybe someone can answer. Is it ideal to keep the hive entrance clear of snow during winter ?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Unless the snow is packed tightly, the hive should ventilate OK and bees can usually remove snow from the entrances. Ice is really more of a problem than snow for hives regarding ventilation and such. Loose snow will be removed by bees or could melt off. None the less, if the snow persists, eventually I remove it snow from the entrances.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
About ready to make the second pot 7° F SW wind @ 21 MPH = -13° WC it was cold going out to get the paper and feed the birds OH I did go the the shop and pour a couple candles.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just finished my large cup-o-joe. 10:30AM and its only 46F sunny but windy. Bees won't be out today. Tomorrow promises rain. Oh, well. It could be a lot worse.:popcorn:
Guess I'll go check the cattle and fences.

·
Registered
298 Posts
For those of us North of the Mason/Dixon line - I am predicting a colder and dryer than normal winter.

Followed by a hotter and wetter summer.

I'm pretty good in the past, so here you have it in print.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hope you are right about North Dakota. Last two summers in SW ND:

Hot/dry - no surplus honey
Cold/wet - late buildup, the nectar was there, but the bees weren't

Neither good for bees with as short as our growing season is.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
We'll be about -5 with -25 wind chills. And that's nothing to ND and the upper states right now.
them temps might kill me but that's the price you pay living up in Siberia USA ;) , we will get in the teens a few day every year or two and then only hit in the single digit numbers once every 10 or so years :p

Its like when I see the northern states on the weather channel and all the cotton ball looking stuff I say to myself, what that white stuff :scratch: :lpf:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Darn! Talk about cold; we got down to 58 early this morning and only up to 82 this afternoon. I'm breaking out the long johns. :lpf::lpf::lpf:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Very funny you two! Right now, our kitchen thermometer reads between -5 and -10, it is NOT in the wind. I am guessing it is below -20 in the wind. I have been pouring buckets of corn into the stove the past few days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
-27 this AM (-10?? your thermometer), -30 something tonight. I hope your right and a quick deep cold session brings a warm wet (early) spring. The girls are wrapped, in the shed out of the wind and I hope they survive the cold. A full deep of honey on each hive but it is only of any value if they can move.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Look at it this way

This summer when them good ole boyzs down yonder are feedin dem bees ours will bee in a BIG flow I hope :applause: warmer this morning 14°

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Aren't all breezes at that temp stiff???? :lpf:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts