Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching the Science Channel and they were doing a story about how Burt's Bees lip balm is made. Of course these days they import all of their beeswax from China (so much for the American cottage industry - Hippie Burt done gone global on us). Anyway, the show must have wanted a bee yard shot, so they ended up with footage from Brushy Mountain in North Carolina. They even had Steve talk on camara for a few minutes.

Good Job, Brushy Mountain!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ok, I gota step in here, I live in Maine and have friends that have know Burt for many years. Burt is only the face of Burt's bee, he was bought out by Roxanne Quimby, who has spent 100's of millions of dollars to buy up the Maine woods and keep people from ever using or enjoying it.
I wish the facts were know across the country and not just here in Maine, we in Maine do not buy burt's bee products.

Drive around Maine and you will see bumper stickers that say "BAN ROXANNE", anyone who want to learn about it can google "ban roxanne".

BTW burt had'nt had bees in a while but had a few hive this last year, sadly he ended up with foul brood. I don't know if he will try again this year.

·
Registered
508 Posts
All good things come to an end. On a note about Brushy Mountain, they were awarded the best small business in 2009 award for the state of NC. They keep winning awards. However I buy from Millers because of the price difference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Clorox Corp bought them in October 2007 for $925 million!!! Burt's Bee global headquarters in next door to me in Durham, NC.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Great...buying their wax from China. I guess the only businesses supporting local beeks is local beeks.

They get a nice thumbs down from me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts