Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a few years off from beekeeping, and just found out Brushy Mountain is a thing of the past. So sad! Did they just overextend?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am sure there are some threads here but I remember something about new owners and growing too fast? Not sure my memory isn't what it should be.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I beleive Brushy Mountain was purchased by Kelley Beekeeping. If you look at the Keeley sale pages they have Brushy stuff there they want to get rid of. I picked up beautiful Brushy Mtn 9-frame extractor for a song.

In turn, Keeley Beekeeping was bought by Mann Lake, though they still have their own catalog and products, with some overlap. Don;t know what the future will hold, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,162 Posts
Brushy Mountain collapsed after [the venture capital firm that held the paper declined to extend more money].*

Kelley / Mann Lake may have picked up some of the remaining inventory after the fact, but I don't think they had a direct hand in the collapse (other than applying normal competitive pressure that exists in the marketplace).

*the words contained in the square brackets above are my personal summary of what likely happened. I don't have any inside knowledge.

Here is the 133 posts:D thread from when it happened:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?350557-Brushy-Mountain-Closing

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I beleive Brushy Mountain was purchased by Kelley Beekeeping. If you look at the Keeley sale pages they have Brushy stuff there they want to get rid of. I picked up beautiful Brushy Mtn 9-frame extractor for a song.

In turn, Keeley Beekeeping was bought by Mann Lake, though they still have their own catalog and products, with some overlap. Don;t know what the future will hold, though.
Last time I ordered stuff from Kelly they were using/selling mann lake frames but they are still making their own boxes.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Last time I ordered stuff from Kelly they were using/selling mann lake frames but they are still making their own boxes.
I just ordered from both, kelly is selling Mann boxes too. Or they at least are using the Exact same pic from it.
BTW, Mann's # are not going through. I can say that I am not very happy about their tone on both an Email and phone (just now). So the Med boxes I was calling to add to my order I bought from Kelly. Mann says shipping 5-7 biz days, Kelly says 3-5 Biz days.
I'll let you know when things arrive. Mann order was 3-31 (still not tracking #) Kelly order today.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Last time I ordered stuff from Kelly was last fall. I could tell which line they came from because the Kelly boxes have narrower hand holds, while the Mann lake ones have wider hand holds.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering, since my equipment is all Brushy Mountain, if everything is compatible from one company to another. Otherwise, hmm.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I use Brushy Mountain, Mann-Lake, Kelly, and home made 10 frame deep boxes. They are all compatable, as are the inner covers, bottom boards and telescoping tops. My home made stuff is a direct copy of the BM equipment.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
In turn, Kelley Beekeeping was bought by Mann Lake, though they still have their own catalog and products, with some overlap.
Ah, that explains why Kelley asked if I wanted to use my Bee Bucks when I checked out from them last week! I thought that looked a bit odd.

Now if they would just ship . . . .

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I always bought from ML....and always received my order within 5-6 business days. Last order took considerably longer. When I emailed to inquire, I received a reply from kelleybees.com. Never a tracking number and a strange billing system when original order was pd with CC. ????

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Mann Lake's PA store is two states away. I placed an order for a 50# bag of Ultrabee and 5 queen excluders on Monday. Got my delivery on Thursday (yesterday). Brushy Mountain would take forever to ship and they were one state away. If an item was out of stock, you had to call them before they would ship anything. It was very frustrating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts