Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone! I am a long time customer of Brushy Mountain and have purchased dozens and dozens of 8 frame deeps and medium supers from them. I'm in the market for several deeps, frames and foundation and was curious which vendors (Mann Lake, Dadant, Western bee, etc.) folks have had success using with Brushy Mountain's boxes? I've read numerous threads and interwebs links suggesting that there are compatibility issues with 8 frame boxes from the various vendors. Hopefully someone on the forum has worked these out and can share your findings?

·
Registered
88 Posts
compatibility issues with 8 frame boxes from the various vendors. Hopefully someone on the forum has worked these out and can share your findings?
I have a mix of Brushy Mtn and Mann Lake 8 frame equipment. They don't line up perfectly when mixed on a stack, but they do work. The only thing that I've found as an incompatibility is things that fit into the entrance like entrance reducers, robbing screens, etc. I paint my Brushy bottom boards and the reducers/screens that fit them a different color than the ones I use on the Mann Lake bottoms.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Brushy Mt eight frame boxes are 13 3/4" wide. Mann Lake and Betterbee's eight frame boxes are 14" wide. Western Bee Supply will make them whatever size you want. But you can set a 14" wide box on a 13 3/4" wide box with no real issues. You just have 1/8" on each side that it is off.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with MB that stacking the boxes should not be an issue; however, you may have an issue with telescoping covers. I started with 13 3/4 boxes from Dadant also their covers. I have switched to Mann lake and have issues with the covers.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
In my opinion, your question is valid.
Let me add that the outside dimensions aren’t the only concern.
How they create bee space is another. For example, when I mix Mann Lake boxes with Rossman boxes it is a mess. The bees will draw comb and fill it with honey in the spaces between the boxes….noticeably worse than if I keep those two types of boxes separate.
There was an article in the ABJ, I believe, some years ago about the compatibility between manufacturers. They were not all compatible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts