Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I caught a swarm 15 days ago and went into the hive for the first time today. On inspection they were working all 10 frames, w/8 fully drawn, @5 with capped brood and eggs. I have the classic football shape brood w/@50 or so empty brownish cells on all brood frames. Some of the eggs had a brownish tint to them although 75% were bright white. Is this any concern??? In and out in 20min and i added another deep for a second brood chamber. I live in Maine and most beeks go with 2 bodys. Any advice is welcome???

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Some of the eggs had a brownish tint to them
Is it eggs or larvae that are brown? Brownish larvae can be a sign of European foulbrood. If that's the case...you can let them be and see if they solve it themselves or you can treat with terramycin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry not eggs, larvae. So I will have to bone-up on EFB for my next insp., but after looking at a few photos of EFB, I'm not curtin thats what is going on. I will bring the camera next time and post the results. Terra is for the prevention not a cure.... right?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re: brownish larvae???

Sorry not eggs, larvae. So I will have to bone-up on EFB for my next insp., but after looking at a few photos of EFB, I'm not curtin thats what is going on. I will bring the camera next time and post the results. Terra is for the prevention not a cure.... right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts