Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 50% of the frames in one of my hives turned brown. Does anyone know what caused the condition and how do I treat those frames or the entire hive?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you're talking about the combs and cappings... eventually they all turn brown. Lots of dirty little bee feet. Nothing unusual about that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Also could be brood capping, they are a nice tan.
almirman is in Florida? Obviously you do not need to treat this as it's normal.
Have you ever seen this color before? Do you know what "normal" cappings and brood should look like? Do you have a pic or 2 you can post? Need a bit more info on your hive and your experience to be a good help to you.

RKR

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Three or 4 years ago I removed a large piece of pure white "wild" comb from a hive and have it setting in my shop. There have not been "little feet" or bees on them in years.
The comb is now a bit darker than a paper bag. Discolored by exposure to the air or does comb just "turn dark"?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Almirman. The frames turned brown or the combs?? You wrote frames but maybe meant combs????

If the tops of the frames are brown because the bees pooped all over them that is way different than them browning from use. If the bees pooped on them they are probably sick and I would clean them with bleach water, 10%. If they browned from usage no worries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another new beek here with brown, drawn comb...first inspection this Spring, dead bees in small cluster, capped honey intact...most bees gone. A few frames of very brown, drawn comb...BUT inside, looks like white eggs sort of deteriorated. One hive even had a comb like that in a super with a queen sep.
CCD?? The brown-ness doesn't bother me, so much as, is the comb reusable?
Is the hive all contaminated? Any ideas? Please?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Three or 4 years ago I removed a large piece of pure white "wild" comb from a hive and have it setting in my shop. There have not been "little feet" or bees on them in years.
The comb is now a bit darker than a paper bag. Discolored by exposure to the air or does comb just "turn dark"?
I took some pure white comb out of my hives that was attached to queen cages. Those combs are several years old like yours. Now they are tan (lighter than a paper bag) from whatever aging process. It is interesting that there is some change without the bees.

Of course the comb that is being used and is a few years old is nearly black...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts