Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hived my first two packages of bees two days ago and have a couple questions. First, some of the bees splattered brown liquid on my suit after hiving and one long brown streak on the hive. I havn't seen any since is it something I should worry about. (noseam sp?)I bought 2 3lb packages (one Carolinian and one Italian) but workers all look alike with a great variance between lighter and darker bees. I guess it ultimately doesn't matter what I have as long as they survive but it would be good to know for future refference. Do suppliers just box up what ever worker bees and throw in the right queens? And last questions there are tan to orange colored particles under both hives. I watched the bees bring back lots of pollen and it doesn't appear to be pollen. Any ideas as to what the it would be. Looks sort of like small bread crumbs. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Brown Fecal spots from new packaged bees

I just started myself, but had a similar experience. I think the small orange particles is fecal matter. In some cases, I saw a few bees appear to throw up their crop or honey stomach. I attributed it to the anxiety of being packaged and shuffled about in a new hive with a bunch of strange bees. Either that, or they did not like the color choices my wife picked out to paint the hives. ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts

The packages are generally made up of bees from different hives its only the queen that will be the specific breed you asked for.
I think the bees after being stuck in a package for so long are just plain busting for a pooh and let it go as soon as they are out.
The orange coloured breadcrumb type stuff on your bottom board, are you hiving your package on drawn comb? It sounds like detritus cleaned out of the cells by the bees getting things ready for brood rearing etc.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts

Even bees from a single hive will have multiple paternal lines. Queens mate with several drones during the mating flight. Polyandry is actually a survival trait of social insects. Beekeepers select for a single "race" or trait and breed out polyandry creating genetic depression.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
It is quite normal for bees to suffer a slight bout of dysentery after the stress of being packaged , shipped, and installed in a new hive. If it continued or worsens then you may need to treat them for nosema.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts