Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling to requeen a hive.
I found a capped Q cell on 3/28. Subsequent inspections showed about 6 queen cells. All emerged. On 4/22 (when I found all the cells), I found no eggs, nothing.
On 4/24 I gave them larvae the right age (I thought...maybe I am wrong...really hardly C shaped, just beginning to be) and checked today...8 days later....no queen cell.
From the capped QC to now is 35 days.

My mentors are saying just keep throwing brood at them. Weekly.

My secondary question is how often can I take brood from various other hives without really hidering them? Is this time of year good for this because they can recover well?

I tried a bought queen with them, but no fanning and a bit of cage biting. So I gave that queen to a split and they accepted her.

I could combine? Shake all the bees through excluder and make sure no queen present...combine if not or confirm an unmated virgin if she is there?

Lots of questions.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
The only opinion I have is wait a few more days longer. Im not sure about your weather but its been crazy here, up and down. so not sure about where you are. Crazy Spring this year. Drones could have been late too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My people here are saying same thing. I'm baffled for sure. They must know something I don't. As long as I stay away from a drone layer, I guess I'm good. The queen I moved is now onto her 1st honey super. I'll wait.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd bet you have a young queen in there somewhere, only been 10-12 days so eggs should show soon.

To hedge your bet, I'd put in a frame with as young of eggs as I could find, doesn't have to be a whole frame, just one with quite a few, then check that frame in 4-5 days. You should by then either have qc's or see eggs from your new queen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope so. They did nothing with the first frame of brood I gave them, but I'll try again in 5 days. Thanks for the response everyone.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I am running about the same timeline. End of March I removed the queens from two of my hives to make nucs for sale. One hive has small larvae in royal jelly, the other hive does not, even though there are two properly emerged queen cells. I gave the hive a frame of eggs and a frame of soon to emerge worker brood today. I generally call it a bust after day 35 and no eggs. Will see what they do with the eggs in a few days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are acting like it. Reading my own posts, that's what I'd conclude. I'm just anxious to see her evidence.
I will say I looked, except now that I think of it, I was only checking the brood boxes. There is one honey super, I just considered all honey stores. It's a medium, there is no excluder. I will check there on Thursday.

I've just got beautiful, worker cell comb polished and waiting....and empty in two 5 frames deep nucs one atop the other.
My plan for this hive was honey in their second year. Mice and men....best laid plans.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That 35 day thing is why I'm just twisting around this. If she is there, what is she doing and will they get rid of this phantom queen? Why didn't they in the last round of brood I gave them? Could she truly still be gestating?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My secondary question is how often can I take brood from various other hives without really hidering them? Is this time of year good for this because they can recover well?
I have had the same problem. In line with your thinking, I have stopped pulling good frames from my once strong colony. After a while you have to allow nature to take its course.

Phil

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My newest thought is this: shake all the bees out, exclude my entrance and see if I can make them truly queenless, then I'm going to try to combine.
I don't know if a virgin can fly back to the colony, hence the excluder.
I'd like to dispatch her at the shake sight, if she indeed is really there.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Mar 28 to Apr 22 is a big timeline gap. Brood frame in that gap for them to try to requeen? If they have had a chance to hatch a queen anywhere near Apr 22 you are too early. If the last brood they had was near Mar 28 it is a different story.

If you are going to shake ( I would not quite yet) you are moving brood not losing bees. Whatever hatches is going to be in the shake. I would give another frame of brood and go do something else for a week. NADA then do something. Something depends upon what else you have for hives.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
My newest thought is this: shake all the bees out, exclude my entrance and see if I can make them truly queenless, then I'm going to try to combine.
I don't know if a virgin can fly back to the colony, hence the excluder.
I'd like to dispatch her at the shake sight, if she indeed is really there.
Bad idea, at least at this time.

A queen that is laying well will fill a deep frame with eggs in about three to four days. Every fully laid up frame you take from a hive is 6000 plus bees. That is why we create resource hives. A hive that is intended to provide frames of brood and remain small, typically a double deep nuc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So timeline:
Split 3/21
QC 3/28
Emerge 4/7?
Inspected 4/22-no eggs-6 emerged QCs
Gave frame brood 4/24
Checked for QCs 5/2-none, just a little capped brood from 4/24-no eggs of any kind.
Split to last ck=42 days
One more week=49 days

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Ok, your mentor is correct in giving them a frame of brood with eggs. I will do a split, wait the 35 days, and if no sign of a queen give them the eggs and brood. If no queen cells started, do it one more time a week later. The open brood suppresses the laying workers. If still no queen cells or eggs from a mated queen, call it done. That is the point at which you could try shaking them through a queen excluder and look for a non laying queen. If you do not find one, let it die out. If you do, pinch her and add a last frame of open brood and eggs. Sometimes the bees just won't do what we want them to do. By this time, most of the bees in the hive will be the ones from the brood you gave them as the original bees will have died of old age.

I am comparing this to the hive I mentioned that was laying. The brood was no more than 5 days old, ie, larvae were only two days old. You need to check the super and see if a queen is up there laying away.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Most probable you had queen on 4/24. You do not have a good queen now. Not a good candidate to raise their own.
I would put an excluder on top of another hive or two +a sheet of newspaper just to be paranoid and put half or the whole hive on top of that depending upon relative strength of the hives.

Reload for a fresh start.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts