Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a opinion on this. I have a hive I started last year from a nuc. Two brood boxes on eight frame equipment. I fed up until November of last year due to the fact I thought the honey stores were low. I had alot of die off over the winter. I would guess I lost about three quarters of the population of the hive.
I opened the hive a few weeks back and there was a small cluster of bees near the top of the upper box. I did find a queen in the cluster. I put on some feed and checked again this morning and the queen is still there but, I have only a very small brood pattern on the frame she is on. I cant seem to find any eggs anyhwere else in the hive. The hive still has honey stores in it and some nectar scattered around.
Should i keep feeding and let them handle it ? Should I requeen and buy a package and start from scratch ?????

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Until it warms enough that the brood can remain at 95 degrees, the queen either will not lay or the brood will chill and die. If they have food, it does little good to give them more to work. You do not have many workers to keep the brood warm and fed. If they are distracted to gather and process the sugar, you will have less bees for brood production.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts