Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! i recently added another deep(on top of the existing deep) to all my hives to give them more room for the queen to lay and raise brood.. i brought up a frame of brood from the lower deep into the new upper deep.. checked my hives today and they have mostly filled the second deep with nectar instead of brood.. i have 3 hives that got the hint and have alot of brood in the second deep.. but the others just treated it as a honey super... i cant extract deeps with my extractor so what should i do.. i wanted to give them more brood room.. but it didnt happen.. help on this???

·
Registered
916 Posts
You must of had a good flow on in your area and they were building cells and filling it with nectar before the queen had a chance to get in there and lay it up. I would throw another deep inbetween the two deeps and see if the workers allow the queen to lay in this box. That will put the nectar up top which will be good for winter and in the spring this will be the first place the queen will start laying. Take the bottom box off because it should be for the most part empty and your good to go. That will leave you with two deeps next spring. Or find someone to extract that honey for you. Or throw it to some of your weaker hives to get them through winter. Or crush and strain it.

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it was the sourwood flow here whenever i did it. i cant crush it cause its plasticell. ha.. will they eat the nectar in the top deep this winter and lay in it next spring??

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Dang Will, dang sourwoood flow...LOL. Well, you can always come on down and we can extract some of it and we can give them back the empty frames.(plus you'd have almost pure sw honey...yippee..... I wouldn't extract it all, maybe half of it. They will use it as the flow ends and as they do, it will open up space as well. If it were me, I'd throw a medium in between the deeps and see if they continue to draw it out. If you do that, you can use the resources from the deep on the top to make the wax and if nothing else, she will use the medium for now and before winter starts you could swap those boxes out. They may even start bringing it down. We can do 3 deep frames at a time on my extractor......

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Take and move two frames of eggs/young larva from the bottom box to the upper box, into the center.

The two frames you take out of the top box, make them full honey frames and put them, one on each outside of the bottom box.

This will get the center of both bottom deeps being brood surrounded by honey.

Add a super on top just incase they get more flows come in by years end.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
(RAY, I AM TRYING TO GET SOME OF HIS HONEY AND YOUR NOT HELPING.......LOL)

Thats a good idea fo sho......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahaha devdog.. lol ur gonna get some honey man.. if i end up getting some.. haha but i think ill try that 2 frames thing.. good idea

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yeah well......you talked me into it....LOL... Actually we pulled about 130 lbs this year so far. NEVER saw that coming and the bees we put on the cotton last Monday already have 1/2 a super filled and 4 frames capped. LOVE IT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts