Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hive made it through the Winter and I was very eager to see their honey production for the year. A few weeks later...no Queen. So each week for 3 weeks I added a frame of eggs from another hive and they finally raised a Queen that has been doing well/okay for the summer months. They are still only in the 2 deep brood nest because they are slowly moving along. I did reverse the hives in early Spring, around the time of trying to raise the Queen. At this point the top deep has a good amount of eggs, capped larvae and honey/pollen. The bottom deep has some eggs, larvae, capped larvae, honey and pollen. All frames in both boxes are drawn out. I usually pull supers for extracting and let them build up for Winter at the end of August.

My concern is that the bottom box is very empty over all though. I would say of the 10 frames there is an equivalent of 4-5 empty frames. Should I reverse the boxes at this time, leave it or other??? All my hives are still bringing in nectar quite well right now. Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I would not reverse the boxes now. It is normal for the bees to back fill the top brood nest and push the queen down into the bottom box. They know what they are doing preparing their winter nest. You want the winter feed above the bees not below them.
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts