Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? Two weeks ago, I got 2 packages and put them into drawn comb, with a few sheets of foundation in the center, mostly to give the bees something to do. There was a queen includer on the bottom, and a wood entrance reducer set to the smallest size, unitl they are a bit more established.

The other day, I removed the includer and did a quick check. Both had brood, but the broodnests in both hives were in the 3rd and 4th frames, on the side opposite the entrance. Is this normal? Is it something the queen decided to do in response to cool temps? (I probably should have waited a few weeks to get the bees, but am still new enough to do dumb things.) Both hives have an internal feeder, plus a few frame of honey/pollen already in the hives, and a few frames of honey placed outside for them to rob for something to do.

They are acting fine and seem to have everything under control. i just never remembered seeing a broodnest off center before & didn't know if it was a relatively common occurrance.

Diane W

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
It is normal, they probably moved over next to the honey. pollen and into drawn comb where the queen can get laying sooner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts