Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry to foist yet another 'do I have a queen' question on you long-suffering beesource regulars. I've used the search function, really I have.

Here's the situation: Three new nucs this year, but after a month #3 seemed not to have any new brood, and I couldn't find queen. So, per the wisdom of the beesource archives, I found a frame of new brood from hive #2 and swapped it in to #3. This was two weeks ago. Last night I inspected to see what was happening with the frame of brood, and found the following:

Most of the frame was capped brood, but all regular sized, no queen cells. In a dozen or so cells, I saw larvae the size of a rice kernel, curled up into the letter 'c' shape. Which is where most of the now capped brood was two weeks ago.

My question is: Am I seeing new brood laid by a queen that has grown to 'rice' size in two weeks, or could these be pre-existing brood that has matured to 'rice' size in two weeks?
I guess this is another way of asking what are the stages of growth, ie what size by what timeframe? I'm asking because obviously the hope was that if the #3 was queenless, we would've converted the uncapped larva to some queen cells, but that didn't happen...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found the answer on Wikipedia; if I'm seeing rice sized larva, they've gotta be younger than two weeks old if they are capped by day nine... am I thinking about that correctly?
thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would agree the larva you are seeing are new... probably within a week. To check for the presence of a queen, I usually just look for eggs. If they exist and are properly laid, one per cell, centered on the bottom, with a solid laying pattern, I know there has been a queen there within the past three days. Also, from what I read, for the bees to raise a new queen they need eggs or young larva (less than six days old).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts