Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well I thought I was doing the bees a favor by leaving a super on that had some honey in it last fall. But I made the mistake of not having a queen excluder. So now I have brood in the super. When I opened the hive there is no honey or brood anywhere else, So, I have started to feed.

My question, Can I simply brush/blow off the bees and probably queen into the deeps? Or do I need to find her specifically(I hope not, I do not think she is marked). And do I need to remove the top deep and the super and let all the bees in the bottom box?

My thought, remove the top super brush off the bees into the top brood box, install queen excluder and feeder and pray I do not kill the queen when I replace the top. Remove the feeder when they have the top feeder filled 7\10 with brood. Add super and enjoy life with bees.

You thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If they have honey in the super, I wouldn't feed. I would just let them start to store nectar when the flow start. Their natural tendency is to store up high, and will fill your super. The queen will then get pushed down.
I don't use queen excluders and often get brood in my supers. Eventually this gets corrected with a good flow.

·
Registered
454 Posts
At this point I would do as khaas recommends. Also when wintering don't keep an excluder on as the cluster will want to move up and the queen will not be able to follow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts