Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not at all unusual if you don't use a queen excluder. Colonies raise drones wherever they can.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I found an odd arch the size of my fist today, at the bottom of one of my medium honey frames. It looked like the bees uncapped the honey that WAS there and had a buffet, but upon closer inspection, I found larvae.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
The queen doesn't know that you didn't want her laying up there. They aren't honey supers to her.

Shake or fume bees down out of those boxes and install a queen excluder under them. The bees still have time to fill those boxes w/ honey.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have two hives side by side; the configuration is bottom super is a medium(#1) 2&3 are deeps, 4&5 are mediums. The queen was laying top to bottom in both hives. I want to move both hives. Apart from tearing both hives apart to find queen, I am moving an excluder from top to bottom one box @ a time hoping the bees will backfill the honey supers downward so I can remove & move hives.

·
Registered
114 Posts
After harvesting back in June I put a few foundation less frames in the medium super. Later on I noticed during a quick peek in the super that it was all capped drone. I peeked in yesterday and noticed they had back filled with honey. I cant wait to get some of that cut comb:)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>the top medium has drone brood in it. Is this normal?

It is difficult for the bees to tear down old brood comb, so when they don't have enough drone comb in the brood nest they will tear down the nice white wax in the supers to get it. The queen will cross any amount of capped comb to get to drone comb when the colony wants drones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts