Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking my bees today and found a couple of hives with uncapped honey stores in the brood box and brood in the honey super. Any suggestions on best way to remedy this?

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Could you switch the boxes around?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Queen excluders prevent such circumstances (most of the time). Presuming temperatures are appropriate in your locale, I would shake all of the honey super’s bees into the brood box, insert a queen excluder, and replace the honey super. The nurse bees will return to the brood, and when the new bees emerge the honey super will be again available for honey storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Queen excluders prevent such circumstances (most of the time). Presuming temperatures are appropriate in your locale, I would shake all of the honey super’s bees into the brood box, insert a queen excluder, and replace the honey super. The nurse bees will return to the brood, and when the new bees emerge the honey super will be again available for honey storage.
Thanks for the reply JTGaraas. While going thru some other hives and contemplating options, that is exactly what I decided to do the next good warm day. For me it is the only good option.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,526 Posts
Are the stores in the brood box on the outside frames? Is the brood nest in the middle of the hive? If so I would suspect the hive is just eating its way up without eating outward. I would not rearrange a hive this time of year (atleast in my area) unless they were starving. Come spring you may want to move boxes and/or around.

·
Registered
143 Posts
reverse, and rearrange the honey above the brood, let them move up into the deep, then reverse again before they get brood in the super, but add a deep on top of other deep, and the super on top of that.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I frequently have brood in at least the first super. I manipulate or wait. It's just brood. It's what bees do. I rarely fret about it. Avoid it with excluders (yuck) or by manipulating a heavy honey barrier but unless you're keeping bees ONLY for honey...well, it's what bees do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts