Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a brand new beekeeper and was checking on one of my hives today. Most of the brood frames looked normal but this one had an odd cell. Is this normal or cause for concern? I'm going to go back and take more images of each frame to see if I can find more like this or any others that might indicate a problem.
Beehive Pollinator Honeycomb Insect Natural material

Attachments

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Are you talking about the empty cell in the middle of the picture? Most of my Queens will not lay in the cells on plastic foundation that have the dimple on them or in the cells on wax foundation that have the cross wires not embedded perfectly.
Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.

Alex

Reactions: Beltane

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Hard to know Ad0 but it looks to me best I can tell from the pic, like the remains of a chewed out pupa. Although it could be something else such as crystallized honey not yet fully cleaned. There is too much of it for it to be mite poop.

If a chewed out pupa, the pupa has been first killed by something, possibly varroa, and then chewed by the bees. However the rest of the brood appears healthy, we do see things like this in hives from time to time.

In any case it does not resemble any of the serious diseases such as either of the foulbroods, or even chalkbrood. At this time it doesn't seem like there is anything major to worry about. Congratulations on the careful observation (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to know Ad0 but it looks to me best I can tell from the pic, like the remains of a chewed out pupa. Although it could be something else such as crystallized honey not yet fully cleaned. There is too much of it for it to be mite poop.

If a chewed out pupa, the pupa has been first killed by something, possibly varroa, and then chewed by the bees. However the rest of the brood appears healthy, we do see things like this in hives from time to time.

In any case it does not resemble any of the serious diseases such as either of the foulbroods, or even chalkbrood. At this time it doesn't seem like there is anything major to worry about. Congratulations on the careful observation (y)
That's the cell I was looking at and it does look like "chewed pupa" imo. Thanks! I'm going to take more photos of each frame to make sure there aren't any other issues or bad indicators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts