Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone..entry level question here. I did a cutdown split on 2 of my second year hives. As expected the remaining bees are packing the hive with honey. I'm worried that when the new queen gets back there won't be anywhere for her to lay so I wanted to get a couple frames of honey out. I don't have an extractor so it would have to be cut and strained. Would the fact that it is old brood comb affect the honey taste in any way?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I second to that , no difference in taste but the cappings are so much harder to cut specially if you're not using a heated knife. As for taste no difference too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. this is only my second year beekeeping adn the only honey i got last year was fall honey and not very good...really strong aftertaste so i'm itching to get some of this golden honey they are packing away so i thought i would steal a frame or two of what they have now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the only honey i got last year was fall honey and not very good...really strong aftertaste
My girlfriend won't touch the fall honey. She thinks it's too strong and has a bite. She likes the clover and dandelion honey I get in the spring. Many people (like me) enjoy and even prefer the darker more robust honey though. Just push the honey to the back shelf and leave it there. Honey won't ever spoil and someday someone will come along and be immensely grateful for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts