Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one hive -- very strong this spring -- but I put on a deep super full of honey to feed them and forgot to place a queen excluder beneath it. Now I have brood in every deep (3 deeps), and I need the extra deep in a couple of weeks for a new package.

I took the top deep off and placed it on its own bottom board in the back yard, but of course many bees will stay with the capped brood. I didn't get a chance to see if there were eggs there, so I have no idea which box the queen is in.

Weather here is still irregular (upper 60s some days, upper 40s some days). It's hard to know when or if I'll be able to check frames at any time coming up. What do I do with this third box? (Packages are scheduled to arrive in 2 weeks.)

Some bees somewhere will be queenless; my dad is anxious to get the hive moved (since he wants to spray aggressively for wasps). Also, my new location is only 2 miles away. I don't want to weaken my hive -- it looks so great now and was just a new package last year.

Help?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I agree, let them keep it full, right up till you put a package on it, your package will be way ahead of the game!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I would get more boxes make a split and put the packages in your new equipment. You got two weeks.

Or find another beekeeper that wants to buy a few frames of bees for a Nuc.

Or make some more supers. I use plywood, I can get six deeps and three mediums out of a 4X8 sheet. Cost currently in my area $16.95 I can hammer them out in a couple of hours. Then be happy with my good fortune of having such a healthy hive of bees. :) :applause:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't Spray . Put out traps:thumbsup:
Traps are a problem here. We get a lot of wind and the traps always blow down. We just can't keep them up. Tried and tried. Dad is sick of them and we get them pretty bad. They robbed my other hive last fall, then I think they must have swarmed. Dead hive with a handful of bees and a few wasps inside.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you leave all 3 boxs together and put an excluder between the 2nd and 3rd box in 3 days time you can go back have a look in the top box if you have eggs in that box the Queen is in it, if you dont she's in the bottom two and you can leave your hive as it is till the package arrives.
If there's eggs in the top box the queen is there so just put that down as the second box and bring the second box up to the top over the excluder.
When the package arrives split the top box off and either shake the bees off into the other two boxs or keep them and combine with the package bees using an air freshener to introduce that 3rd scent which confuses them and stops them fighting each other.
Cheers,
kiwi

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Kiwi and I have the plan for you.
Myself, I would remove all of the frames of capped brod, shake off the bees, place the frames in a brood chamber, insert your caged queen that comes with the package , shake/dump the package bees over the brood, place the cover on the hive and walk away.
Pulling all that brood will make a big dent in the hive wanting to swarm and you do not have the problems a prime and after swarms.swarm.
The capped brood will prevent the bees from superceding the package queen as their population deminishes and then increases.
Good Luck,
Ernie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your help. Of course, just my luck, today is windy -- bringing in a storm. Will my single deep be okay (esp. if it's queenless) for a couple of days until I can put it back on the other two?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I agree with putting the box back on top with an excluder. You're package will benefit from the capped brood, honey, pollen & nurse bees that will be left in that supper.
Now you'll need to check it for queen cells.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why not just duck out now and do it? will only take you 10mins,
5mins to put your gear on,
2mins to get to your hive if it's in the back yard,
3mins to take the lid and inner cover off slap an excluder on and chuck your single deep back on top.
Easy as.
If you leave it too long make sure you either unite them back with newspaper or a good spray of air freshener.
cheers
kiwi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Kiwi.
I'm cutting back to mediums for the new packages because I can't lift those full deeps without help. (Even my dh strains. He's not quite the hay-bail lifting farm boy he was when we married! LOL)
Today brings rain/snow again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
any aerosol freshener like the ones you use in the loo.
We use it all the time when we unite our hives. If you are combining 3 or more different lots of bees it's ok but if you are just combining 2 they tend to fight and by adding the scent it stops them fighting they just carry on as usual.
Cheers
kiwi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts