Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked this hive a couple of weeks ago and it was building up like gangbusters so I put on an excluder and put 2 honey supers on top(1-shallow,1 Illinois,all I had laying around with drawn comb).I went back in today to see if they were laying any honey in and I found capped brood above the excluder a couple or three frames in both supers.I thought Oh No,I must have gotton the queen above the excluder somehow.so I continued down and found several frames of brood in the top brood chamber and lots of honey and pollen in the bottom brood box.So I know something was laying on both sides of the excluder.I thought maybe 2 queens but I couldnt find either so I just put it back together and moved the excluder up and placed another medium on top with foundation.If there are 2 queens I guess they can duke it out.If they lay brood in everything I guess I will just make a couple of splits.Good problem to have I suppose-too many bees.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Was it all capped? Two weeks is enough time for her to relocate and you will have larva and pupa on both sides.
rule of threes
3 days egg
2 times 3 or 6 days larvae
4 times 3 or 12 days pupae
for 21 days to emerge
In 14 days you could still have emerging and larvae too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Two weeks is enough time for her to relocate and you will have larva and pupa on both sides.
Nothing but sealed brood in 2 weeks. Queens are sealed on day 8-9, workers day 8-10, and drones day 9-11. There will be nothing but sealed 14 days without a queen.

In 14 days you could still have emerging and larvae too.
emerging but not larva unless my terminology is wrong. I consider larva the unsealed grub, and the pupa the sealed grub that is changing to a bee.

·
Registered
429 Posts
what kind of excluder? if metal, wood rim or metal? brace rails up or down? also you might have a small queen. hard to see, and possibly going back and forth through excluder.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plastic excluder from Dadant.The honey supers were full of drawn cone that I had left from some deadouts.I might have trapped the queen above the excluder but I dont know how because the supers were empty when I set them on.Plenty of brood now.If worse comes to worse I will pull these 2 and do a split in a couple of weeks.I really need to keep an eye on this one,its just full of bees and their really working it.I had another hive that I overwintered next to this one that already had swarm cells built a month ago.I bought a queen and split that one and its really building up fast too.My third hive is a whole other story,barely any brood,really slow growing.I requeened it a week ago and hope it will take off soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
sounds like you may have a faulty excluder or somhow when you were adding supers and excluder she was put to the top.
You could shake out the bees from the supers into the brood box that will put the queen back down where she should be. Another option would be to shake the bees from the frames with brood back into the brood box and take those frames of brood to the hive thats struggling swap them over with empty frames going back on your strong hive.
As long as there are enough bees to cover the extra brood it would be a good way of boosting the weak one and holding back your strong one from swarming for a while.
kiwi

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the virgin queen hatched after a swarm will go right through an excluder. a supersedure queen will too and daughter queens sometimes live with their mothers. happens here every once in a while to me, maybe more than most 'cause i use top AND bottom entrances on my hives. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Could it not be a laying worker above the excluder, or as others and my first thought, a small very mobile Queen?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My guess is that he has two queens. The mother and a superedure queen. Not that uncommon. I currently have a colony with two queens not separated by excluder and both seem to be happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts