Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my strongest hives last year has come weak out of winter, i thought it was the result of contaminated wax i got from someone but even after removing all the suspected frames with contaminated wax the weird brood pattern keeps looking like this: see pictures. i did a AFB test that came out negative, could it be EFB?

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Visual ID of EFB is best on3-4 day old larvae.
Yellow tinge and slightly twisted.Spotty brood pattern as shown.
Your profile doesn't include your state.If your state has an inspection program call your inspector.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
To me does not look like either of the foul broods. That's based on what the pic shows and without seeing the actual hive.

Does the hive still have a queen?

When and how was it last treated for mites?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
What sort of varroa management do you do?
PS It appears that Oldtimer and I posted at about the same time....with basically the same question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Visual ID of EFB is best on3-4 day old larvae.
Yellow tinge and slightly twisted.Spotty brood pattern as shown.
Your profile doesn't include your state.If your state has an inspection program call your inspector.
i did not see any yellowish larvae so that's probably ruled out EFB.
I'm in the Netherlands in northern Europe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me does not look like either of the foul broods. That's based on what the pic shows and without seeing the actual hive.

Does the hive still have a queen?

When and how was it last treated for mites?
the hive still has a queen, i'm fairly certain they superseded here very recently( there were 5/6 supersedure cells 3 weeks ago). yesterday i saw the closed brood i showed you in the picture and there were many eggs and no larvae so it's highly likely there's a new queen in the hive.

my varroa management strategy is usually api life var in summer and OAD in winter but only if the mite count >3% which has worked well for me in my area

i haven't treated this hive because it started as a one frame walk away split last summer and seeing it grow and look healthy into autumn i didn't think it necessary to check the mite count in winter so no treatment since it started and no OAD in winter. thinking about it now i think i made a mistake and should have at least monitored the mite count.

so the hive has decreased from a 2 brood box to 1 brood box right now. we're 2 weeks away from our summer flow. any suggestions on how to proceed with this hive?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Well the hive has some dead brood but at least from the photo, it does not look like foul brood. So it could be chilled brood, mites, or starvation.

I don't think starvation because one photo shows a little capped honey. So, chilled brood, or mites. If there are enough bees in the hive to keep it warm, that would leave mites.

So it is recommended to treat the hive for mites. But not with Api Life Var, it is too unreliable in a weak hive or if temperature is wrong. I don't know what kind of treatment you can get in Netherlands, but if you can get Apivar strips, they are good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts