Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
While I am a new beekeeper I have gotten pretty well versed with the books so I think I can answer this one! To answer your question I would advise against it interchanging frames. The cells in the frames from the brood nest have a various melange of:

1. Bee poop (yeah yeah frass or whatever) from when the larva void their digestive system before spinning their cocoon.
2. Propolis from where the house bees have come through and prepared the cell.
3. Bits of cocoon
4. Pollen
5. Dirt and other debris that the bees spread from dancing.

Sure the house bees do their job very well, but you cant expect them to get everything. All of the stuff they missed builds up into layers of funk time after time for however long that frame was used for brood rearing. This junk that is left over will tend to darken honey and add stuff that might impart some nasty flavors in there that you might not want.

Of course I'm a new beekeeper who has never switched out frames, so take everything I say with an experienced eye. I can guarantee you however, that word for word what I just said can be cited in literature.

Hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Yes, use the brood frames in honey supers, won't hurt. The bees clean and seal the cell before storing honey in it, and yes, they get all the fluff. As far as I can tell, it does not change the honey. Perhaps if you had it molecularly tested there would be a difference, but I can't tell myself.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The comb I am speaking of is in a medium that I was using for a honey super last year but over the winter moved up into it. Since then I reversed it to the bottom below 2 deeps trying to get them out of it. Just didn't think after just 1 winter that it would be too bad but wanted to make sure. The brood has moved up in the deeps but there is still some pollen stores in it and was wondering if I moved those up for honey supers would they move the pollen back down in the brood box? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
if I moved those up for honey supers would they move the pollen back down in the brood box? Thanks
They could move it to where all the other pollen is or they could just "play it where it lays" so to speak. I know that you'd rather have them move it so you don't have the pollen in the frame when it comes time to extract. I don't think that it will make a difference if they move it or not. Pollen that is stored in the hive basically "goes bad" anywhere from 1 to 8 days after it's stored, depending on the plant species it was collected from.

I would suspect they'll be eating it before it does that and not putting more pollen in it's place. If they don't eat it, then it will go bad and they'll clean it. Either way you are going to get what you want. Bees are amazing housekeepers.

Just for fun I went back to my library and checked. Page 202 of "the Hive and the Honeybee" tells about pollen storage in paragraph 3 on that page.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts