Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all - I moved back from Atlanta and am playing with my bees. Here's the first thing:

1. I received a queen from a friend and pulled two bars of brood and honey and assembled a nuc. After three days of introducing the queen to the nurse bees, I released her to the nuc. She crawled in the hive...and then right back out and flew away. She hung out near the hive and then disappeared.

I didn't know what to do (put the brood and nurse bees back in the original hive? Wait?) So I waited a couple of hours. Before getting everybody back in the original hive I pulled the lid and inner cover off and there she was, clumping with the nurse bees. Some bees were keening and the others were clumping. She flew away again.

This time I didn't buy it so I left the nuc alone. Took a quick peek late in the day and they all seem happy.

Question 1: is this normal queen behavior?

2. There's a frost warning tonight for Chicago and I'm afraid of brood chill...so I have an electric blanket for the nuc.

Question 2: is this normal beekeeper behavior?
:)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Question 1: is this normal queen behavior?

If you accidently got the other queen in the nuc, yes.

>2. There's a frost warning tonight for Chicago and I'm afraid of brood chill...so I have an electric blanket for the nuc.

What's the question?

>Question 2: is this normal beekeeper behavior?

It's not abnormal. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts