Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
being this year i'm trying to standardize with all mediums, i go to wondering, does anybody see a problem with running a deep and two mediums for brood chamber?
i got to thinking 2 deeps give me 18in of frame.
3 mediums give me 18in of frame.
1 deep and 2 mediums will give me 21in of frame.
will this give me a bigger brood chamber or will they use the second medium for honey and likely cause swarming from using 14in of frame?
i'm over thinking again. lol
1 deep and 2 mediums will help me use up my deeps. thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
1 deep and then mediums here in the south is what I've gone to this year (on the recommendations of 3 well-thought of keepers). I had 20 deep frames of drawn comb + the 5 frame nuc. Altho it really bugs me not being interchangeable, what can a poor boy do?.

I'm not comfortable having only 1 deep of brood going into winter - didn't work out last year, but had bad varroa & treated too late. I hoping 2 things: that they will build up brood into the 1st medium and that I'll be able to make a split this year so I can backfill into weak hives going into winter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is my first year but on my 8 frame hive I am starting with 3 medium brood boxes, see how the girls fill that out then go from there, interested to see what folks say about this subject. I may be kicking myself for not putting a deep on first :doh:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i now you'll be fine with 3 mediums, i've already got a few of those. i'm just talking about using extra deeps to get rid of them. no since leting them go to waste. wondering about the extra 3in of frame i don't see where it will make a difference. i guess they'll either use it for brood or honey. just don't want to short myself brood room.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do it. Go for it. I will be doing the same. I have two deep hive bodies that I purchased and then a few more deep hive bodies that have been given to me.

I will use them as the basis for the hives when I can.

Otherwise, I'm going all mediums and use the interchangable frames.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Last year I wintered one of my two hives in a deep plus two mediums and left the other hive as two deeps. They both made it through the winter, but the two deep seems to have built up better this spring. (I just added a medium super with empty frames to it) These were both 2nd year hives that didn't produce any honey last year. (The two deep hive swarmed and didn't recover enough to produce any extra honey and the other went into the winter and never started to build up until I re-queened last summer)

Like you, I'd like to go with all mediums, but don't want to waste the deeps and frames I already have. I used the deep from the other hive to house a nuc that also made it through the winter and I'll put mediums on top of that hive this summer and winter them that way. If it works, I'll keep doing the one deep two medium hives until the deeps are unusable.

Good luck!

BB

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also am going with a deep on bottom and the remainer med. I too have deeps with drawed out comb I dont want to waste. Also if your buying Nucs its easier to find then in the bigger size instead of medium. Im planning on wintering with 1 deep and 2 med, anything filled above that is for Daddy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I swear fellows they could have made it here in ky, especially in east ky on a deep and a medium. I lost some loaded in double deeps. Honey all around and starved out. They couldn't break cluster, so it wouldn't have mattered if they had three deeps. I'm going to try a deep and a medium with the option of another medium. I'm thinking the option of adding some honey to a weak hive in the fall from super to super maybe a bonus. Especially after the ordeal last fall of feeding a bunch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts