Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on having open brood chambers so the bees will determine the size of their brood chambers. I will be running all medium supers which will probably be 8-frame (jury's still out on the 8-10 frame decision).

I'm trying to stock up my woodenware and would like to get an idea of how much space I need for brood chambers here in south Alabama. If some of you southerners would share what you're doing for brood chambers I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
154 Posts
I live in Florida just east of Orlando a little town called Titusville. One hive is 2 deep 10 frame box.Other is 2 deep 8 frame box. I will make the 10 frame hive a 8 frame hive this winter. One hive one of the deeps is used for honey and the other one they use for brood.I do not use a queen excluder in any of my hives.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Florida just east of Orlando a little town called Titusville. One hive is 2 deep 10 frame box.Other is 2 deep 8 frame box. I will make the 10 frame hive a 8 frame hive this winter. One hive one of the deeps is used for honey and the other one they use for brood.I do not use a queen excluder in any of my hives.
Howdy Radford. So out of two deeps your getting brood and food storage...right? Do you get the occasional brood in a honey super without using an excluder? You're a bit further south than I am and looks like we run about 12 degrees cooler on average during the winter than ya'll do. I guess with an open brood chamber then the bees will move into more comb if they need it. I'm thinking 3-4 medium 8-frame supers. Thanks for the input.

Ed

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you leave out the excluder you can just take a guess at how much you want to leave... but in the Deep South one deep seems to be the norm for overwintering and that would be exactly two eight frame mediums.
Thanks Michael. So, if I go with three eight frame mediums then I should be covered good. I'm just not wanting to come up short on frames and supers and ...and figuring if I don't use them now, I'll use'em later. ;)

...and the plot thickens.

Ed

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
One deep brood chamber filled with honey is enough for overwintering but it is not enough when the bees start to expand in the spring. My rule of thumb is to overwinter with one deep brood chamber and one shallow super filled with honey. One year in 5, the extra super makes all the difference in survival the next year. Two mediums would be a bit less than optimum so I would use 3.

DarJones

1 - 6 of 6 Posts