Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Northeast Tennessee. I have just inspected a few of my hives and there was a consistent pattern in all. There was older capped worker brood, eggs, queen, but no larvae. So I am wondering what triggered this brood break which I estimate to be of about 2 weeks. I am thinking that a lack of resources has triggered the queen to stop laying. Or did she stop laying? Could the workers have removed the eggs? In any case we have been in a drought so maybe the lack of nectar and/or pollen triggered the brood break. Also we had been feeding the bees sugar water then we went on a 10 day vacation and then resumed feeding. So could this have triggered the brood break. The good news is that I am seeing pollen going into the hives and the queens are laying. But the bad news is that before I understood what was going on, I combined two hives because I thought that one was queen less. When I inspected I missed seeing the runny little black queen and I did not see eggs (which i also missed) or larvae. I only saw a bit of capped worker brood and thought that the hive had gone queen less. And as always the queen that you would have preferred gets killed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m in nashville. One question I have is how open space did the queen have to lay? But Michael is correct. Shorter days less laying. Also We haven’t had a winter in a while and I think this year it will be cold finally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts