Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my hive for the first time this year and they survived their first wintering. Both deep brood boxes are full of brood, pollen, honey, and bees with no swarm cells. Was kind of surprised at the numbers for being so early in the season. They are bringing in pollen like crazy. Each deep has two frames (outside frames, one and ten) that are only halfway drawn with comb if at all. They don't seem to like the two outer frames for whatever reason. We still have some cold days coming up next week and not sure what is the best thing to do.

Is the best thing to do is split the hive even though there are still some cold days ahead?

Maybe just adding another brood box to give them some extra space? Or maybe would it be better to add queen excluder and a super?

What are your thoughts on this? I don't want my bees to swarm!

Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
If frames 1 & 10 are undrawn or partially drawn I would work them closer to the center if possible. That should buy you some time giving them something to do until you can split. I would split asap or you'll have swarms on your hands. You might also consider putting on a super if you have a flow. It will give them storage for incoming & allow them room to move stores up if they want to.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I move those 1 and 10 frames in to make sure they get filled out. Putting them on the outer edges of the brood nest will help opening up the broodnest to deter swarming. Hopefully someone in your are will advise you on when you need to super. Search old posts on opening up the brood nest for a lot of good information on swarm prevention or search swarm prevention for that matter. Sounds like your bees are in good shape.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If frames 1 & 10 are undrawn or partially drawn I would work them closer to the center if possible. That should buy you some time giving them something to do until you can split. I would split asap or you'll have swarms on your hands. You might also consider putting on a super if you have a flow. It will give them storage for incoming & allow them room to move stores up if they want to.
I move those 1 and 10 frames in to make sure they get filled out. Putting them on the outer edges of the brood nest will help opening up the broodnest to deter swarming. Hopefully someone in your are will advise you on when you need to super. Search old posts on opening up the brood nest for a lot of good information on swarm prevention or search swarm prevention for that matter. Sounds like your bees are in good shape.

I did move the empty frames in both boxes to the outside of the brood nest last week hoping this will help out by giving them some room. Sorry I didn't add that bit of info :( I checked this morning and they are bringing in pollen big time.

I may see if I can get ahold of someone from our local bee club and seek out some more info for our area.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts