Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into a hive this morning (checkerboarded mid-Feb.), just to put a super on top. I saw brood all the way to the top box so I decided I'd better do a quick look for queen cells. I lifted the top box back and there was brood torn apart on several of the frames. Couldn't really see in to see if queen cells and no time to truly inspect. Decided I'd look in the 2nd box and I also tore apart brood there too. I don't remember this happening before. Is it normal to have brood on top of frames like that?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Just the bees making drone comb where they can. I don't pay much attention to it unless it runs the whole length of the bar, that means there's a space problem. Good spot to check the larvae for mites.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I wish I had had time to go into the dern thing this morning. Space (and swarming) was what was coming to mind. I"ll get into them for real on Sunday, but Saturday here is supposed to be glorious so wanted them to have someplace for some honey or just room to expand if necessary. Thanks for the input. I did do a quick mite glance but could have done better. I hate being in a rush!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
VitaminBee,

Just curious, are you using plastic frames?

It's more common when there's not a thick top bars...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mix plastic and wood in all my hives. This was across wood in one of the boxes. Can't say in the other, but I'm pretty sure it was wood. Also couldn't say if plastic was adjacent. I just remember scraping the wood. I'll keep an eye out for that tho, BC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts