Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 hives 2nd year beekeeper- I don't like clutter and carry that housekeeping into my beekeeping. Do you let them build comb and brood under the bottom of the frame or do you cull it (1-2 inches)? It's mostly drone brood that I can see and scattered cups but no capped queen cells. I have been scraping it off but now I'm second guessing it.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Hi. If the bees are able to draw 2" of comb under your frames - then there's something wrong with your set-up ... such as you have the wrong size frames for your boxes (perhaps ?).

When there's only 1/2" or so of space beneath frames in the bottom box (or a beespace between boxes of frames), then they won't draw comb there. Sometimes people do deliberately create a 2-3" space below the bottom box, but then they install a slatted rack within that space to prevent this kind of thing happening.

The only time you can get away with having large unprotected voids beneath frames is if you're running uber-deep frames - around 14-18", when the bees have more than enough comb for their purposes and so don't need to draw down any more. :)
LJ

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. I looked at my ruler and 2 inches is too big. It's really more like 1 inch at the most. I watched a video on YouTube from Paul Kelley at the University of Guelph on hive inspections and he had the exact same comb buildup under his frames and he just went right on putting them back in the box. My setup is the standard 10 frame langstroth with hive body frames.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Hi. In that case I don't know why they're doing it. Unless - if you're running all worker comb, then they'll be busting a gut to create some drone comb - anywhere they can - even in such a tight spot. That's about the only explanation I can offer. Hopefully somebody else will chip in on this one.
LJ

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,886 Posts
I think one of the "tricks" to reduce unwanted drone burr comb is to give the bees a foundationless frame and allow them to draw all drone comb in it. After a round or two of drone brood has emerged, they will fill that frame with honey, part of their winter stores. Less hassle to let them do what comes naturally. Paul does not scrap it off because he knows they will just build it back and would rather that energy be used for honey or worker bee production. The same goes for ladder comb. Unless it is preventing you from removing the frames, a little comb on the top bars is not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really good idea. I'm going to give them a foundationless frame. It appeals to my sense of order and it's what the flying kids want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts