Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to extract one of my honey supers, low and behold I found capped brood in the bottom 2 supers. I added an excluder before I added the first super so not sure what is going on, could there be 2 queens 1 up and 1 down? I'm thinking I will need to check the supers for a queen and also the brood boxes, if there are 2 what should I do before it's time to get them ready for winter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did you see any open brood/eggs in the supers? What about the brood box? If you see eggs in both then most likely you have 2 queens. In that case you can split it into two hives even if one is running mediums for now, or just pinch the queen that you like less.

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
249 Posts
Do you have a problem with having multiple colonies? If you have another bottom board and another top board you have 2 colonies.. We have about 4 more weeks to bring their volume up to over wintering weight, feed, feed, feed. Put sugar blocks on them and see if they both make it.

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
Was it drone brood? It could be a laying worker.

Also, is your queen excluder metal or plastic? My hive came with a cheap plastic one and found a broken tab, and though it didn’t let the queen through, it would have been a problem if it broke further before I replaced it.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,768 Posts
Do you have an upper entrance?
If yes, a supersedure queen returning could go in the top and take up laying.

Been there

IMO either split them or Shake the top half, off in front of the hive, return the parts wait for brood to hatch proceed. If you prefer just remove the excluder, shake the frames with out brood, for harvest , leave the rest for winter stores.

GG

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you don't have an upper entrance odds are your queen passed through the excluder. . It is not unheard of

1 - 7 of 7 Posts