Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be helpful to have a sticky where members could post their losses in the same way we post bloom dates and swarms?

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Too early to tally, they are still dropping like flies and will end up with over 50% loss on 80 in fall. IAPV...

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
1 of 10. Expected it wouldn't make it. Should have combined. Though March is still yet to come.

BD,

I like the Monty Python referance. lol.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have lost 0 of 8, 75844, 75839, 75801.

Checked them today and they all seem to be fairly strong bringing a steady flow of pollen, but are a little light on stores.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hopefully, my hive is still strong. Low here in eastern Iowa was zero F this a.m. again. I hear a solid hum when I listen to the hive closely and each day there are "fresh" dead bees on the apron. Badly hoping for a day in the 40's so I can take a quick peek and see if I need to start feeding. First year hive, from my limited experience it seemed quite strong in the fall (many bees on warm days, very heavy hive bodies). Zip 52317

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What value is there in me telling you that I lost X colonies? For one thing, todays report will be one number and tomorrow's report will be another number. And at some point the number of live colonies will be greater than the number of dead colonies, but I might have a dead one or two to report on at any time during the summer season.

So, what is this worth and why would we need a Forum or Thread on it? Just asking.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
For someone like me who has lost 50% three years in a row, it is very interesting and useful. There is something very nasty going around and you better hope you don't become part of it.
There is great value for everyone involved to know where it's happening and in what quantities and fugure out what the hell it is. I will warn everyone right now, don't bring your bees around my neighborhood for fear of catching what my bees got.
If you don't think this is an important discussion, come over and help me extract and clean up my thirty or so dead hives. And then pay for the replacement bees and figure out if my equipment is contagious or not. Even better, figure out exactly what CCD is, because my bees got it big time.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Is that what thsi Thread is supposed to be about? All I saw in the OP was a reporting of deadouts, not a discussion on what might have killed them. So what real value is there in telling you that I had one hive that I found dead today in Brasher falls, NY? If that is all I say.

What is being asked for? What are the perameters of the discussion or report?

I'm going to go along w/ what you reported and say that I had about 100 colonies that died, so stay out of St. Lawrence County.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts