Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the ends of some new frames in a hive, that they had turned bright yellow, almost like they had been dusted with a can of yellow spray paint. I have never seen this before, but I saw this in a small area in 2 hives, yesterday. These were new frames and it may have been something in the wood of the new frames, but it was not like that when they were put in the box.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen the same thing in my hives and just figured it was staining from pollen.

Blueline

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was cleaning out some plastic frames from a deadout, and saw a good bit of yellow and also some pinkish staining on them. I wonder if I should be concerned?
I was planning on pressure washing them and then hitting them with steam.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think this was from pollen, as this is new frames that has not even had the foundation drawn out on, yet.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I do not know what it is but have also seen it. I doubt there is any thing to worry about. My bees appear health (a blessing). It does seem to appear on new franes.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is from the tip of the bar, to about 2 inches toward center. I talked to the state inspector and he told me it was pollen. he has seen it in yellow, red, and blue.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I almost suggested it as propolis but did not see how such a bright light color could be produced from propolis.
Pollen makes sense as it looks like (when I see it) a stain was spilt on it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I have one hive that is in the front yard so I look at them several times a day. Yesterday afternoon I noticed the landing board which is white had a solid yellow color to it. It looked like some one got yellow over spray on it from a spray can. I can only assume it was pollen. I have not noticed it before and it was not there in the morning. They have started working the Japanese Tallow trees, which is a yellow flower. And they have almost filled up a drawn out and filled a super with nectar in the past few days. They are amazing!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know anything about the Japanese Tallow trees, but the Chinese Tallow trees we have in East Texas, has the bright yellow pollen, and that might be it. A beekeeper that has been doing it for 30 years, told me that propolis is bright yellow when it is first put down, then turnd the grey and brown, that we all see.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think it's from propolis... for some reason the propolis... I've gotten into a good bit of it, and though the propolis doesn't look any different than normal, it leaves a yellow stain on anything it touches. I have been unsuccessful at trying to wash it off my gloves. Dunno what tree they could be getting it from though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts