Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a month of not much going on, my bees are bringing in a ton of bright orange pollen. almost fluorescent orange. it's the biggest single-source pollen "flow" i've seen. but so far there doesn't seem to be much nectar associated with it. i think it's too deep orange to be goldenrod. it looks like dandelion. but dandelions didn't just bloom last week. the observation hives at the science museum are bringing in the same. anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I was told last year it was goldenrod, this year i read it wasn't, there is a ton of it coming in here too. G

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
goldenrod, aster and marigold pollen all fit your color description and all are available to the bees now.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If the goldenrod is isn't blooming yet, then it may be sow thistle, looks like a dandelion flower but the plant gets quite tall. My bees are bringing in a deep orange pollen right now too, and the goldenrod isn't blooming here either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Getting red, orange, and yellow here in Tennessee. Goldenrod in full bloom and a lot of other things blooming too with the much needed rain that we just got.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same here in SCentral Indiana, so much on them you can see it as they fly in. Did some poking around the property, noticed bees with same pollen in their sacs foraging on staghorn sumac and if they say they only forage on one type during one flight. Just saying. Goldenrod is blooming but I haven't seen any of my girls on it, just on the sumac. No other color pollen coming into my hives.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Same here in SCentral Indiana, so much on them you can see it as they fly in. Did some poking around the property, noticed bees with same pollen in their sacs foraging on staghorn sumac and if they say they only forage on one type during one flight. Just saying. Goldenrod is blooming but I haven't seen any of my girls on it, just on the sumac. No other color pollen coming into my hives.
So you saw bright orange pollen coming from sumac? Interesting. I havent caught them pollen gathering the sumac.Ive only witnessed them gathering nectar . That would make sense because there is alot of sumac in different stages coming in here.

Copy of DSC04837.jpg

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I am seeing some orange pollen.

I also am seeing coal black and very dark green pollen...wondering what those are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Saw some bumblebees on the dutch clover in my yard with the bright orange pollen right next to some honeybees with no pollen. Most bees coming into my hives have no pollen but did notice a few with a cream colored pollen. I wish it would quit raining every day I think it knocks the pollen off the flowers. Still haven't seen any honeybees on the goldenrod

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mine are bringing in both a deep orange and some creamy white . Been the same two colors for a few weeks now . Goldenrod is starting to bloom here , but I haven't seen enough to account for the orange pollen , and they were getting it before the goldenrod started . We do have a lot of what I think are either black or brown eyed Susans here , along with some white wildflowers along the roads and in some fields . I wish it would rain here ...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Last Monday our girls were bringing in a large amount of orange pollen in the morning, baskets filled so they looked like they might burst, with most of the bees carrying it. That was in the morning. By afternoon it was down to a trickle. They were working Wingstem and Mountain Mint, but we never saw pollen on the bees working those. Possibly it is something that only offers pollen when the blooms first open? We've seen that with Chicory (white pollen).

I've got a sample of the pollen but have not yet had a chance to put in under a microscope.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was thinking you guys that said it had ended were crazy. but now the same thing happened here. goldenrod is a strong suspect. but i'm not convinced. the only goldenrod i've seen is just peeking out. in spite of all this activity, my hives haven't gained weight since early july. (they haven't lost weight either)

the dreaded japanese knotweed is starting to bloom. hopefully we'll get a fall flow from that. but i don't believe that's very pollen-y.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wonder if bees use jewelweed? We called it water weeds when we were kids. I know the hummingbirds like it and the flower is the same color orange as the pollen I've seen.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Lots of bright orange pollen coming in today as well as nectar. Nectar was raining out of combs when I shook bees off of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts