Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a colony off of a house last week and some of the honey looked bright electric neon yellow in color and very clear. Anyone else ever come across this or have an idea what they are pulling from?

C2

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I like it! put a light under a glass of Mountian Dew and you might be close to what it looked like. Who knew bees liked yellow #5?

C2

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I have seen honey that is like that.

I would have described mine as Highlighter Yellow, but Mt. Dew is pretty darn close.

Brazilian Pepper is what they made it from in my case. Does Brazilian Pepper grow out there in California? I would think it would.

Funny thing is that the wax drawn during the flow is that color too. Brilliant Highlighter Yellow, it looks funny.

This page says that yes it is a problem out there.

http://www.cal-ipc.org/landscaping/dpp/invphotos.php?groupID=60&region=state&type=Trees

·
Banned
141 Posts
The yellow honey we get here is birdsfoot trefoil. It's really taken over the last 3 years and it's a great honey producer.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
We also spotted nectar coming in last week that was very bright yellow. The area is glacial ,with drumlins predominating(cigar shaped hills pointing north/south). Soil is sand and gravel, with extensive wetland between drumlins. Something yellow was blooming in the wetlands, did not have time to verify what it was..

Roland

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ishi, it had that glowing type of look to it like Prestone, but yellow. Nice obs, better than Mountain Dew. I know we do have Stars out here, maybe that it. I'd like to get some hives out there next year.

C2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts